Choosing the Right Siding
Exterior Siding Installation and Replacement
Choosing new siding for your home is a big decision. After all, it’s highly visible to the outside world and has a huge impact on how your home looks. Equally as important as aesthetics is the function of new siding. You want a high-quality product that holds up to the tough weather conditions that Mother Nature dishes out in Illinois. At Erdmann, our professional siding contractors help you choose siding that that meets the demands of both form and function.
Choosing the Right Siding
We see it often — homeowners paralyzed with indecision about what color or type of siding to install on their homes. Luckily, Erdmann is more than just a siding contractor. We provide full exterior design services to enhance your home’s look and function. And that includes helping you choose the right color, the right level of maintenance and the right price for your new siding.
When selecting siding for your home, you want to consider:
- Aesthetics. Your new siding will change the appearance of your home, so make sure you like the way it looks. In general, stick with colors that complement your home’s style and blend in with the neighborhood.
- Energy Efficiency. Siding impacts the energy efficiency of your home. No siding has a very high R-value (the energy efficiency score for building materials), but siding replacement and installation offer you the opportunity to add underlayment or insulation that keeps your home more comfortable year-round.
- Materials. Many of today’s homeowners are concerned with the origin of the raw materials and the manufacturing processes involved in their home improvement projects. Your siding contractor is a great source for information about these concerns. Vinyl siding, for example, is low maintenance and popular but is made from non-renewable petrochemicals. Fiber cement siding, on the other hand, is made from renewable resources.
- Durability. Will your new siding stand up to our cold, snowy winters, wet springs, hot summers and all-around windy weather? Can it withstand annual wear and tear?
- Maintenance Needs. How much work do you want to invest in your siding every year? Today, most products are fairly low maintenance, but it’s always a good idea to ask about the maintenance demands before your siding is installed.
- Accessories. Don’t forget the finishing touches! Soffits, fascia, shutters, eaves and trim work have a huge impact on the visual appeal of a home. Make sure that the siding product you choose also has all the accessories you need or that you can easily find products that look good with the siding you choose.
Different Types of Siding
Erdmann wants to help you choose the right product for your home. We go over all the different types of siding available, discuss the pros and cons of each, and talk about colors and styles that will not just complement your home, but also enhance it.
Fiber Cement Siding
We install James Hardie® fiber cement siding. This composite material is made of fiber cement, which is a combination of cement, sand and cellulose. It is available as planks, shingles or boards, and goes on like wood. In fact, it looks like painted wood. It can be painted and is available in many different shapes and textures, making it highly customizable. James Hardie fiber cement siding is one of the most long-lasting and durable siding products on the market today.
Vinyl siding is extremely popular. It is low cost, easy to install and requires little maintenance. Since vinyl does not provide any notable insulation value, you also need to add an underlayment. Today’s products are available in a wide range of colors, styles and textures, and are more durable than earlier products.
Choose cedar siding for a classic look that provides aesthetics, value, durability, versatility and environmental sustainability. Cedar wood siding is naturally resistant to decay, rot, mildew and insects. Available in many colors and styles, you can’t go wrong with cedar wood siding.
Based in Arlington Heights, Erdmann serves the north, northwest and west suburbs of Chicago. If you live in our service area, please schedule your consultation today! We look forward to working with you!