We see them in all the style and home decor magazines. The modern farmhouse design brings the relaxed rustic style living and adds modern touches with smooth lines, glossy accents, and neutral colors. It is generally less rural and more sophisticated. In a contemporary farmhouse, we find more updated design elements such as stainless steel appliances, sleek lighting, and granite countertops.
Here are some tips for creating your own piece of farmhouse living.
- Exterior Paint: Crisp paint colors are essential along with black, white, or natural wood.
You are limited to what your exterior looks like, but changing colors, adding wooden accents, and farmhouse style decorative furniture will go a long way.
- Interior Colors: Colors should be a combination of black, which is modern and white or wood, which has country/earthy elements. Choose neutral palettes to deliver a fresh and open appearance. Soft beige, cream, or even gray will set the tone and will balance the natural elements. Keep patterns simple and contemporary. Bring depth to the neutral palette with a variety of textures.
- Incorporate Wood: Add wood in various forms into your decor for a more rustic yet modern look. Even old barn wood to cover a portion of a wall makes a great impact. For a significant change, find a way to add beadboard, shiplap, or wainscoting into your home.
- Barn Doors: Add some sliding barn doors to closets or use them to separate areas of the house.
- Have Fun with Minor Details: Modern farmhouse style also incorporates a little something old and new, like traditional natural elements such as wood combined with stainless steel. You can add bleached wood paneling and other fun aspects to enhance textures.
- Mix and Match Furniture: Mix different eras into your living space. White walls, rustic farm tables, and black lamps. Vintage furniture has authenticity, and modern furniture has a sleek style. Keeping furniture within the same color scheme pulls the entire room together. Don’t be afraid to paint old furniture to give it new life and add your own touch of personality.
- Add in Distressed Furniture: A favorite element of the modern farmhouse style is the use of old distressed furniture. Additional small details, like antique doorknobs and a chair with chippy white paint, can bring the room to life.