Creating a Luxurious, Timeless and Functional Kitchen
Chicago Kitchen Renovations That Will Improve Your Home
Your kitchen is the heart of your home. This is where your family gathers for food prep and meals, where all the organization takes place, and where friends congregate. Kitchens mean warmth, comfort and sustenance.
So what do you do when this important room becomes old and outdated, or it no longer functions for your changing family, or you just want a change? It’s time for an upgrade! While a kitchen remodel is a major undertaking, there are many reasons to proceed:
- Your kitchen is in bad shape and things are literally falling apart
- Your kitchen screams 1970s, not the 21st century
- Your room no longer fits your family’s lifestyle
- You liked your kitchen at one time, but your tastes have changed
- You desire more upscale appliances or a kitchen fit for a gourmet chef
- Your kitchen could be more energy efficient
- You want to increase your home’s market value
A Kitchen Remodel Pays Off
Are you dreaming of a kitchen remodel, but you’re unsure about spending all that money on a single room? In our area, a kitchen remodel cost could be between $40,000 and $100,000, depending on the size of the kitchen and the options you select. However, evidence shows that a kitchen upgrade has a greater positive impact on the sale price of a home than any other improvement. An updated, appealing kitchen is often the home’s main attraction, and a kitchen remodel can earn a 70 percent return on investment (ROI) when the home is sold.
Latest Kitchen Renovation Styles and Trends
Looking for kitchen remodel ideas? Let Erdmann help! In addition to current styles, we design function into your kitchen to fit into your family’s lifestyle. Our skilled designers are experts when it comes to creating a layout that maximizes your space, your budget and your vision. Let us help you turn your dream kitchen into reality!
Among the functional kitchen layout principles we recommend are the following:
- The “triangular” path between refrigerator, sink and stove should be short and direct, and kitchen traffic should flow around, not through, the work triangle.
- Maximize your uninterrupted counter space to expedite food prep.
- Allow sufficient aisle space between countertops to facilitate working.
- Store items like pots, bowls and utensils near where they will be used.
- Ensure that doors and appliances are placed correctly to minimize conflicts and allow drawers to be opened fully.
- Carefully consider the placement of outlets and trash receptacles to make sure they are easily accessible.
- Consider your kitchen size and layout before selecting between an island and a peninsula.
- Maximize storage with clever solutions such as cabinets or shelves above the refrigerator, pullout cutting boards and more.
- Spotlight areas strategically to illuminate your work areas.
Don’t forget the aesthetics! Here are a few suggestions for making your kitchen beautiful:
- When selecting islands, cabinets and shelving, choose architectural details that are both pretty and practical.
- An attractive backsplash adds color and style while protecting your walls.
- If space permits, add dedicated storage to hide small appliances like toasters and blenders.
- A combination of the glass and solid cabinet fronts can make your kitchen feel more open, while offering hidden storage.
- Consider adding special storage areas such as wine coolers and overhead pot racks; they can be dramatic as well as practical.
- Select a colorful or striking range hood or island to add a pop of color and serve as a focal point.
- Window treatments are a perfect way to display your style and personality; just be sure that they are easy to clean.
- Lighting is more than functional; choose decorative fixtures to highlight your style and make your kitchen truly one of a kind.
Based in Arlington Heights, Erdmann serves the north, northwest and west suburbs of Chicago. Call us at 847-357-9594 or fill out the form below to schedule your consultation today!