It’s that time of year again to honor those who have served in the military and celebrate the unofficial start to summer. We’re kicking off summer with some of our favorite Memorial Day food and drink recipes! Whether you’re throwing a party on your new Erdmann-built deck or taking a dish to pass at a picnic or potluck, we’ve gathered up some of our favorite festive grilled recipes, seasonal salads and patriotic drinks to inspire your Memorial Day menu.
Berry Moscato Sangria Recipe
Try this fresh, crisp Berry Moscato Sangria recipe on Memorial Day or at your next summer entertaining event. The fresh squeezed lemon adds a bit of tartness to this recipe and cuts through the sweetness of the fresh berries creating the perfect refreshing summertime cocktail. Moreover, the red, white and blue colors of this recipe make it the perfect celebratory drink for Memorial Day.
Serving size: 4
1 (750 ml) bottle Moscato wine
1/2 cup orange liqueur
1 cup sparkling water
1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, thickly sliced
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 lemon, freshly squeezed
fresh mint, for garnish
1. In a large pitcher combine wine, orange liqueur, lemon juice and sparkling water. Stir to combine.
2. Add berries. Chill for 1 hour to let flavors blend.
3. Serve in ice filled wine glasses with a sprig of mint for garnish.
Frosted Freckled Lemonade
Frosted Freckled Lemonade is the perfect combination of lemonade and sweet strawberries freckled throughout. This drink is delicious and perfect to serve at your Memorial Day event or on a hot summer day. The best part is that you only need 3 ingredients to create it making this a super easy dessert to make for your guests.
Serving size: 4
1 qt. Dairy Queen soft serve ice cream or vanilla ice cream of choice
1/3 can of frozen pink lemonade concentrate 12 oz. can
8 oz. of partially frozen sweetened strawberries with juice
1. Place all ingredients in blender or mixer with paddle attachment.
2. Mix until combined.
3. Pour into glasses and enjoy!
Crack Dip Recipe
A dip that’s simply called Crack Dip must be good, right? It is everything you love about food – it’s creamy, salty, cheesy and full of bacon! This is a perfect last-minute Memorial Day party appetizer or can also be made in advance and popped in the fridge until it’s ready to be served. With how quickly this recipe is made, you can spend more time on other party planning tasks.
Serving size: 8
16 ounces Sour Cream, Regular or light
Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix, or Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Mix
2 slices Bacon, Cooked and finely chopped, plus more for garnish (or you can use fried onions)
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 Scallion, Sliced
1. Mix the sour cream, ranch dressing mix, bacon bits and cheese together in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.
2. Top with scallions and extra bacon. Serve with chips.
Watermelon Feta Blueberry Salad
This Watermelon Salad recipe is the best and easiest salad for a Memorial Day party. The red, white and blue ingredients get into the festive spirit of the holiday and can be made in minutes with only a few ingredients. It’s the perfect sweet and savory salad for any summer celebration. Not to mention, it is vegetarian and gluten-free.
Serving size: 4
1/2 seedless watermelon cubed (about 8-10 cups)
1 cup blueberries
1/4 cup crumbled feta I used reduced fat
2 + tablespoons mint leaves chopped
1 lime, juiced
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1. Combine the fruit, mint and cheese in a bowl.
2. Toss in the lime juice or use the dressing found in the notes.
3. Serve immediately.
Parmesan Garlic Grilled Corn
Parmesan Garlic Grilled Corn is the perfect veggie side dish for your Memorial Day bash as everyone loves corn on the grill. Best of all, it is so easy to make and you can grill a whole platter for a big party. Moreover, it is so versatile and also gluten-free, that you can easily add different toppings for all of your guests.
Serving size: 4
4 ears fresh corn
2 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, grated or minced
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
1. Preheat grill to 350-400 degrees F. Remove most of the husks on the corn and leave the innermost layer intact. Pull them back just enough to remove the silks, then place back over the corn.
2. Place corn on preheated grill. Cook, turning once or twice until kernels are bright yellow, 15-20 minutes.
3. In the meantime: place butter and garlic in a small heat-safe bowl. Microwave until butter is melted, 10-15 seconds.
4. Remove remaining husks and brush the corn kernels with melted garlic butter while still hot. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
5. Serve immediately.
Strawberry Margarita Punch
Strawberry Margarita Punch is delicious and easy to make. It’s the perfect cocktail to make for your Memorial Day party guests and can easily be made kid-friendly by leaving out the tequila. This is one of our favorite refreshing drink recipes perfect for a hot, summery day. The red hue also supports the patriotic theme of Memorial Day.
Serving size: 6-8
16 ounces strawberries, chopped. (or 16 ounces of frozen strawberries for easier mixing)
1 can frozen limeade concentrate
4 cups water
1-2 tablespoons agave nectar
1 1/2 cups good-quality tequila
2 cups orange juice
4 cups strawberry or diet strawberry soda
1/4 cup sugar
Limes and strawberries, for garnish
Salt to rim glasses (optional)
1. Put chopped strawberries along with sugar and 1 cup water into a food processor and pulse until smooth
2. Pour strawberry mixture into a large pitcher Add limeade, orange juice, soda, agave nectar, tequila, and the remaining 3 cups of water. Stir, stir, stir!
3. Serve over ice, garnish with strawberries and limes. Salt the rim of your glasses for an added margarita flair. Enjoy!
If you are looking for a trusted contractor to help make your outdoor space dreams a reality so you can host the best outdoor parties, contact us today for a free consultation.